Wednesday, May 11, 2011

WHERE THERE’S FAMILIA, THERE’S LOVE .

WHERE THERE’S FAMILIA, THERE’S LOVE
A One Act Play by EORO Youth


CHARACTERS:
VAGUE the POISON IVY
Age: 9 years

ACE the POISON OAK, VAGUE’s best friend
Age: 17 years


SETTING:
You hear the wind crying, as the old withered trees sway side to side, thrashing each other as if knowing each other for a long time – brought them to a moment of regret and loneliness and ambition to sway far away to life and ease… Old tumbleweeds still stumble through their way, in an “abandoned garden” when nights never cry.


TIME:
5:25 in the afternoon, in a summer breeze


AT RISE:
Coming back from an exhausted day of being in the garden, just trying to make it though another day.


                    ACE
What you mean you got better things to do?

VAGUE
Yes man, I got better things to do…I’m tired of doing da same things over and over again.  I’m tired of just standing here…”doin’ nuthin’”…  Just watching da days go by and not doing something positive—

ACE (interrupting)
(Surprised) “Positive,” huh?  (chuckles to himself)…since when did you start thinking positive?

VAGUE
(Smooth and sincere)  Since da day I decided to be different, since da day I decided to be myself, since da day “I realized” how much pain I cause da ones who never gave up on me, but I gave up on them…and that day is today, Ace.

ACE
(Confused) What…?  All of a sudden you just turnin’ sof’ on me?  All of a sudden you just…started regretting da things you once “never cared about”?  Come on now Vague, stop talkin’ like you lost you’ petals, man…


VAGUE
(Straightforward)  Is not that I lost my petals, Ace…I finally realize what I want now!  And that’s to be with my family.  I’m tired of this wildlife thang, I’m tired of everything this life has to offer, and I’m tired of hurting my own kind…it’s time fo’ me to go where I belong…with my family.

ACE
What!  Now you want to go back wit’ yo’ family!  The family that wasn’t there fo’ you when you really needed them.  When times were dry, I was da one who put chu on wit’ some drops that no one else could’ve.  I was there fo’ Vague, me and you been through da worse.  Even when times felt it was me and you against the world… remember?

VAGUE
Is not chu, Ace…is just…

ACE (interrupting)
 (Angry) Then what is it then?!!  Remember Vague, I’m da one who made you, if it wasn’t fo’ me, you probably wouldn’t even be here!

VAGUE
This is what I’m talkin’ about man, I’m tired of listening and doing things that are wrong and that causes a lot of pain to innocent plants…is time fo’ me to be myself, and do the things I want to do.

ACE
(Angry)  NO!  You can’t…

VAGUE (interrupting)
No I can’t WHAT?

ACE
You can’t LEAVE!  Because you know what my plans are, my plan to become a family that is big and known fo’ its loyalty…

VAGUE
(Sad)  You ain’t the only one that has a dream.  I have a dream, too…but all my life I been livin’ a lie, and it’s time to look at reality fo’ what it really is…and stop hiding my problems behind this lifestyle…

ACE (interrupting)
After all we been through this is how you give back to da hands that feeds?!!  I put all my trust on you and you know I rose up without a family…this is how you finna do me?




VAGUE
Nah man, you know I got mad love fo’ you…but doin’ this all my life, it ain’t finna take me nowhere.  But don’t take it as if I’m betrayin’ you, man…that’s sumthin’ I would never do…

ACE
(Angry)  But you doin’ it right now, Vague!  You finna leave me now, leave me like how they brought me to this world…“alone”…alone wit’ no family!

VAGUE
Is not that I’m doin’ it on purpose, Ace.  I just want chu to understand that I want to be wit’ my family.  My family that planted me and watched over me every time I’ve drooped as a little stem.  I wanna feel that love again…that love that words can’t describe, but an intense feeling that you carry deep inside you…a feeling of family.  But all I want from you Ace…is your blessing…the blessing of more than just a friend, but a root brother…

ACE (tearing)
Well…I’m sorry Vague for getting mat at chu.  Is just hard for me to let go, because all I have in this world that I consider family…is you.  I may not fully understand what cho’ feelings are, because I never had a family…and I never felt the love that a mother provides for her lil stems.  But just know that I’ll be here fo’ you…and know that you got my blessings, my root brother.

VAGUE
(Sincerely) I thank you, my true friend…but Ace, just know you always consider family… no matter what, brother.

(They exchange a brotherly embrace.)

THE END.

No comments:

Post a Comment