Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Playwriting Program in San Francisco

"The Each One Reach One Program has been an essential tool in my studying. Being in Juvenile Hall I tend to lose track of the bigger picture by drowning in my own sorrow. I feel like I am accomplishing so much by being in this program and I greatly appreciate this opportunity.

This program accepted me and many other inmates with open arms. Unlike most you didn't judge me by my file, you judged me by my attitude and optimism to set higher standards for my life. Thank you. 

These two hours a week are far from as many as I would like, but they add up and are greatly appreciated both long term and short term. The possibilities are endless now that I have this tool to keep me going. I've come to the conclusion that I can only get out what I put in, this program gives me the opportunity to get to know who I am, share my knowledge and in return keep my mind beyond these walls."
-Playwriting Program Participant, Spring 2011 

EORO's summer Playwriting Program is kicking off on August 15th and we need mentors and actors to join our team! If you are interested, please contact Harold Atkins at harold@eoro.org.

Our Spring Playwriting Program was a huge success. We had six youth participants involved in the Playwriting Program and all were able to complete the project.  At the end of each week, participants were asked what they were going to take away from their experience.  Some mentioned creative skills showing an increase in self-esteem and belief in their own ability.  Others noted social skills, such as increased confidence, being able to express themselves and learning how to deal with their frustration.  The group all worked very hard and were extremely committed to the process. Four of the six writers chose child-parent conflicts as their theme.  Knowing that their parents were coming to see the play, this caused a fair amount of conflict for the young writers.  They had particular trouble confronting the conflict with their parents deeply and honestly. Following EORO's model, the young women used the richness of the language of metaphor to engage their characters to explore their life stories and imagine positive resolutions. This program reminds us that the plays the young people write do not always have to be lightly veiled therapy.  The process and action of playwriting is empowering and therapeutic in its own right.


http://www.youtube.com/user/1eoro1#p/a/u/2/YgAsgGwT4LE

No comments:

Post a Comment