Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Volunteer Spotlight:Laurel Freeman

Spotlight Questionnaire:

Name:   Laurel Freeman

How did you learn about Each One Reach One? 
While working at another non-profit in San Francisco that served youth in Juvenile hall, I became familiar with EORO through their arts programs for incarcerated youth.

Why did you become involved with Each One Reach One? 
It was a great opportunity to continue my work with young women in the system by teaching life skills classes in the Healthy Choices program.

What is your favorite Each One Reach One Program?
Healthy Choices!

How long have you been involved with Each One Reach One?
I began teaching the Healthy Choices classes in August 2009 – so coming up on two years.

What is your greatest contribution to Each One Reach One?
My respect and concern for girls in the system and my ability to make the Healthy Choices program fun, educational, and relevant to young women.

Where are you from? 
I was born and raised in San Francisco, specifically in the Castro District.

In three sentences, how would you describe yourself?
I am a strong-willed, independent, intelligent woman who believes that all girls, regardless of race, social class, or economic background, should be given the opportunity to grow into educated, strong-willed young women who can think for themselves.

What does community mean to you?
To me community is the interconnectedness of people and their ability to help each other, have fun with each other, and create a safe, loving environment of supportive coexistence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment